Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Anonymous love notes. Suck it, Stress.


According to the well-known scientific journal that arrives at my house each month, Better Homes and Gardens, January 5th is the most stressful day of the year. The holidays are over, we are back at work, and the weather blows.

In an attempt to counteract a little bit of awful, I wrote a bunch of letters and decorated them with stickers and stamps. Each letter read:


You are an attractive, intelligent beacon of light.

That is a fantastic shirt!

2011 is going to be your YEAR.

Hey. I love you.




I put the letters in envelopes labeled "HEY YOU" and left them around random locations. Since I believe in not pissing on the earth when possible, I recycled old pages of articles from my dissertation dayz to write the letters on. So people who picked up the letters were also lucky enough to receive a snippet on "Individualism-collectivism, self-efficacy and other factors associated with risk-taking among gay Asian and Caucasian Men" (Mao et al, 2004). After consideration, I decided to leave the envelopes unsealed to lessen the perception that they might possibly contain anthrax.

I left the letters around throughout my morning activities, at such places like New Wave Coffee in Logan Square and the Classics Department at the University of Chicago. I sent a couple with my downtown minions to place too. One ended up with the St. John's Wort at Trader Joe's. I didn't stick around to see who found them and read them, although I believe that those who did were probably most touched by my amazing sticker arranging skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment