Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Romper Ambivalence


Making my sexy face in a romper in Central America. You.Are.Welcome.



I have a love-hate relationship with rompers. In essence, I love rompers when I wear them. I hate rompers when other girls wear them. When I wear a romper, it is super cute and endearing. When other girls wear a romper, it is slutty and trying-too-hard. I generally associate romper-wearing with IQs in the lowest quartile. Plus, where were you hos when I started this trend like 5 years ago? Thank god I have transcended my own romper stereotyping.

4ish years of roller derby involvement have taught me that wearing intimate apparel as outerwear is not only acceptable but conformist at many functions. I own 5 rompers. I have my 2 stand-by American Apparel soft lovelies, in black and blue (naturally). I have my "dress" romper, which I can wear to the black-tie events that I am so frequently invited to. I have my "girl on a skateboard in pigtails flashing a peace sign" cutesy romper. And finally, I have my "requires-boob-taping-to-prevent-nipple-slip" romper that I wear when I want to seduce old men.

These are the rompers that I want to rock this season. Stay away, bitches.



This one will be for smoking cigars in the Venezuelan breeze. (I do that a lot.)
via Topshop


If this doesn't say "Feed me klonopin and spank me while I bake these cookies" I just don't know what does anymore. via Anthropologie


Refined. For polo matches with johns a la Pretty Woman. via Modcloth


Hells yes that's chewing tobacco I just spit on you. via J.Crew

3 comments:

  1. Yes, YOU can pull off a romper, because you're tiny and cute and can basically pull off anything. But I still maintain that most rompers just make the people wearing them look like they're wearing saggy, baggy diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My issue with the romper, aside from the fact that I look like an Oopma Loompa when wearing, is the complete undressing required for making a potty stop. Especially difficult in a small bathroom stall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that to be part of the fun. Nothing makes you feel sexy like being naked in a public restroom.

    ReplyDelete