Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Grillz: Condiments that don't suck.


It's time to get our grill on, hardcore. Our firepit is itching to burn. Last season I tried to make homemade veggie burgers. I was so excited to grill my own creations! Well, they wound up having the consistency (and flavor) of regurgitated sand. So this season, I'm stickin' to letting the master of the house do the creating. But I CAN spread condiments on food like no other. Even. Drunk. These are the things I like to put on my grilled goods.

Best all-around condiment: Lizano



I have been known to lick Lizano off of the coffee table, on which I'm well aware that dogs have a dance party while I'm at work.This Costa-Rican potion is like gold to me.
It's widely available now, especially in that melting pot of the "international" aisle of your grocery store. You can also find it on Amazon, and if you are in the Chicago area, get a bottle delivered with your Irazu goodness for $7.

Hot Sauce Stand-by: Valentina


I have it on good word that this is Rick Bayless's fave, though I can't find a legit source to back that up. Smooth and a wee bit ketchup-y, it has more depth than Tabasco. It will also add extra kick to your elotes and is killer in Bloody Marys.

The Beautiful:


Empire Mayonnaise is (sadly) currently only available at the Brooklyn Flea Market. It comes in flavors like Emu egg, yuzu kosho, and black garlic. Luxury small batch mayo? I might eat that. via Design Crush


Miniature ketchup! Sir Kensington's minis are pretty and scoopable. For the refined alfresco party.Probably not ours.

Don't forget to make it sexy.


Slap one of these BDSM-themed stickers on the bottom of your bottles and just watch the suburban golf dads at your BBQ get aroused.

Honorable mentions:
Garlicky hummus (homemade is always ideal, but Sabra is a good backup). And homemade guacamole. There is NO substitute for homemade when it comes to guacamole, kids.

Images via TMZ,Lizano Recipes, Amazon, Below the Clouds, Trendhunter

No comments:

Post a Comment