Monday, May 16, 2011

Gratuitous Farm Animal Spread.



Livestock are like crack to me. Someday when I move out of Chicago, I plan to have one horse, one cow, and one pig. As pets. And lots of egg-layers. I haven't picked out a pig name yet, but the horse will be Hank and the cow will be Lila. When I'm home visiting my parents, I take any opportunity to tag along with my mom when she heads to New Creation Farm to pick up her meat order.



Kristen and Scott Boehnlein of Chardon, OH started raising their own meat after nearly losing their daughter to antibiotic-resistant pneumonia. Doctors suggested that the hormones and drugs in our food-supply may have been partly to blame. Soon friends and family members asked Scott and Kristen to raise some extra meat for their use, and one thing led to another, and now the Boehnleins have a booming business. Farmhands include a big brood of kids, most adopted and all home-schooled.











In this region of Ohio, sustainability and locally-sourced food are concepts just starting to root. The Boehnleins' farm is unique to the area and they welcome visitors. Despite the fact that I feel a bit sad about all of these lovely creatures ending up (certified humanely) butchered within the year, this IS the way it should be done, mang.


Photos are from December 2010 and May 2011. Although it was raining this past weekend and the animals were inside, 13 year-old Nick took us through the hen houses and pig nursery. More pics on my flickr if you need a livestock fix.


Righteous.





No comments:

Post a Comment