Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fall Fashion Trends! (That I can’t pull off to save my life.)

(Jerks.)


Like many self-involved 30-somethings, I am an avid follower of fashion, design, and style. Simply, I heart pretty things. I follow New York Times Fashion on the twitters, and even subscribe to Harper’s Bazaar, Vogue, and other magazines that instill a desire to smoke cigarettes and wear fitted linen. There’s just one problem.

I exist in the body type of a congenitally deformed hobbit.

Meaning: Breast-heavy and slightly duck-footed. Occasional arthritic limp. Topping out at 4 foot 11 and half. As a result, I struggle with the multitude of “looks,” and thus must resort my staples of jeans and t-shirts with the appendages cut off. I’ll continue to glance wistfully at the lithe models in couture, as in reality- I overjoy with my second-hand finds of men’s flannel pants. Here is what I won’t be wearing this season:

1. Capes. I tried on a cape jacket at Nordstrom’s. A stranger asked me if I needed a meal.

2. Equestrian wear (e.g. jodphurs and riding boots). The look on me is “Uptown Pre-School Elite.”

3. Boxy knit tops. With any cropped top, I generally resemble an apple in a sandwich bag.

4. Vests. Think the annoying middle daughter in “Full House.”

5. Orange lipstick. I tried this the last time it came around and looked like I had a bad case of MRSA.

Feel free to pass along any other trends I will not be able to wear. Shrug. I like to look anyway.

Image via Dappled Grey

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been rocking the crap out of orange lipstick for a month or so now.

    We have similar-enough coloring that I'd be surprised that you can't pull it off. I believe in you, Melanie!

    xo,
    Loco

    ReplyDelete