Thursday, February 24, 2011

Diary: Gluttony LA



Donuts, beer, and prescription meds. How LaForce siblings roll.















So L.A. doesn't suck as much as I thought it did! I made my brother drive me around the city so I could eat my nuts off. I sought out a few things Chicago doesn't quite have.



A mozzarella bar. I have died and gone to Italian Stereotype heaven. The Degustazione di Mozzarelle di Bufala Campana DOP (read: "ShitTon of Cheese" Menu)at Obika, Mozzarella Bar includes burrata, fresh mozzarella, and smoked mozzarella. Also it's in a MALL, so you can smother yourself with cheese AND pick up Kim Kardashian's newest perfume. Don't let the mall thing throw you. It's L.A. A nice restaurant in a mall just makes practical sense there.








Chicago is lacking in small plate Japanese (izakaya) options, which abound in L.A.'s Little Toyko. Enter Aburiya Toranoko. Toranoko opened just a few weeks ago, and our celeb sighting there was Eric from the Tim and Eric show. The staff was so attentive I tried to take several home with me. The special was "live" (Read: Recently deceased) ebi (shrimp), beheaded in the kitchen and served on a chopped-ice-filled martini glass and topped with caviar. The heads are flash-fried and served alongside. It was a tasty dead crustacean. The jellyfish was meh. Dusty committed a sin in several religions by swallowing a skewer of 6 little chicken hearts and beef tongue.


Other favorites:
Tacos and a veggie tostada from Dusty's fave Pepe's Tacos in West LA, vegan philly cheesesteak and chili wrap from Leaf Organics, retro chambord cocktails at Liquid Kitty, jackfruit and dal at Samosa House, giant bowls of udon at Mitsuwa, local strawberries and tomatoes at Santa Monica farmers' market, and late night donuts & Modelo Especial. Food parade. I wish I could have an excuse to eat this way all the time.




This is the only picture of got of my little bro and I, at Bigfoot West. Yes. We are both assholes. TRY THE SAZERAC.

No comments:

Post a Comment